Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Learn it. Know it. Live it.


The events of National Bike Month are just piling up.  This week is Ride to Work week and this Wednesday is a nationwide event called 'The Silent Ride'.  The Silent Ride is done all over the country to raise awareness and to honor cyclists injured or killed by knucklehead drivers who treat us like scum.

I looked online and there's a silent ride this Wednesday night starting at 7:00pm at the Irvine City Hall.  I honestly considered joining this event to check it out but when I looked it up, the first thing I saw from last year's ride was some doofmeister wearing a helmet and bike shirt, barking something into a microphone in front of a bunch of bored looking people.  Uhhh dude...that's not silent.

Other reasons I will not be participating:


  • It's a 7.9 circle jerk, I mean ride, through Irvine.  I'm trying to think of things more boring than an hour long slow ride through Irvine and I cannot.  Oh wait, I just thought of one....an hour long ride through Irvine in silence.
  • The Lakers are playing OKC (They'll probably lose by 30 again)
  • The Dodgers are playing the Padres
  • 7:00pm is usually when I start my nightly four hour snacking and wine drinking binge and I don't want to interrupt my schedule.
Even though I won't be doing the silent ride, I will give a shout out here on the Gut Chronicles and ask the drivers of the world to keep an eye out for cyclists and remember that they have just as much right to the road as you do...so back the fuck up assholes!


No comments:

Post a Comment