Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Dirt on Spirulina..




I've had a bunch of folks asking me what is so great about Spirulina so I thought I'd give my thoughts and the facts on it.  First off, my thoughts....

There are lots of things considered to be superfoods such as:  salmon, blueberries, goji berries, acai, wheat grass, Cheddar Goldfish crackers, and banana Now and Laters.  Spirulina is just one of those things that is supposed to be seriously good for you.  The only reason I tried spriulina in the first place is because I watched a documentary on food and they talked a lot about spirulina and how its 'the perfect food' which is why apparently NASA is doing research on cultivating it in space so Astronauts have a renewable food supply for potential deep space missions.  As I've mentioned before, I'm a bit of a sci-fi nut so I wanted to try this perfect astronaut food.

After giving spirulina a whack, I decided I liked it (because you can't really taste it when its blended with stuff) so I was going to try it on a regular basis.  Now that I have some every day, I feel like I have more energy and far fewer food cravings.  Its so great, I may just cut it into lines and snort it for the hell of it. Now that we're done with the totally unscientific part, here's some stuff I've read on Spirulina:

From FoodMatters.tv (this is the doc I watched btw):

"Spirulina - Spirulina is a cultivated micro-algae which has been consumed for thousands of years by the indigenous peoples in Mexico and Africa. It is one of the highest known protein sources on Earth and contains 70% complete protein, towering over steak which consists of only 25% protein once cooked. Studies have shown that spirulina can help control blood sugar levels and cravings thus making it a key food for diabetics, and can be used to assist in weight loss and as a general nutritional supplement."

Check this site out too:  http://www.integral-health-guide.com/spirulina-powder/

And, if you want the nutrition data on spirulina (or anything), this is a great site to go to:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2


No comments:

Post a Comment