Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What A Freaking Day for a Ride!


I woke up this morning just raring to go since the sun was out and the weather's supposed to be warming up.  My ride started off a little rough because I came face to face with some angry wench who looked like she'd been ridden hard and put up wet the night before.  She seemed to think that me trying to cross the street with a green light AND the crosswalk signal green was a massive insult and that she should be able to turn left right in front of me.  That Starbucks sucking harpy came within a few feet of Serena and me.  I was about to go full 'Palo Alto Bike Commuter' on this woman.  I could feel my middle finger just straining to rise to its full length and make its presence known before her vacant eyes but I decided that on this morning, peace would be a better way so I just stopped my bike right in front of her car and stared at her as if to say "I hate you" and then rode on.

Once I got to the SART, all was well (photo above).  The traffic on the trail was light, there were gulls on the wing, and the group of bums I see every morning sharing a forty weren't huddled together for warmth as usual; instead, they had a casual air about them and an look of optimism in their eyes.  Ahh yes, all was right with the world as I cranked up the iTouch since Fear's classic hard punk song 'I Don't Care About You' came on the playlist and headed for work.


About halfway to the office, right in the middle of Milk Inc.'s cover of 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' I was overtaken from behind (get your mind out of the gutter) by Captain Otto VonRoadbike seen in the photo above...from a distance.  All of a sudden I found myself sprinting and in a speed duel with this guy.  The duel only lasted for a good two or three seconds before he blew me away but trust me when I say...for that brief period or time, the guy on the road bike was pretty worried about the mighty force that is Serena and me.  After I spent all my energy on two seconds of bike battle fury, I didn't have much left in the tank so I took'er slow for the rest of the way in and just enjoyed the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment